Tips to Help Protect Customers from Scammers
ComEd has some important tips to help customers protect their personal information and avoid falling victim to scams. Here’s what you need to know:
Red flags for scam activity:
· Receiving a phone call from someone who falsely claims to be a utility representative and says your account is past due and service will be disconnected if a large payment isn't made.
· The thief instructs you to purchase a prepaid debit or credit card then call him or her back to make a payment.
· The scammer then asks for the prepaid card's receipt number and PIN number, which grants instant access to the card's funds.
How to protect yourself:
· Remember, ComEd representatives never call our customers to ask for cash or request the purchase of a prepaid credit card to make a bill payment.
· Never give social security or personal information to anyone initiating contact with you claiming to be a utility representative or requesting you send money to another person or entity other than your local utility provider.
· If you suspect someone is trying to scam you, hang up and call the local police then call your local utility (ComEd 1-800-EDISON1). Never call the scammer back.