On Sept. 10, firefighters from across the state gathered for the 28th Annual Fallen Firefighter Memorial ceremony and the Firefighter Medal of Honor Awards Ceremony at the Capitol.
The memorial ceremony is held annually to honor firefighters who died in service and recognize those who went above and beyond the call of duty. As the ceremony was unable to be held last year, this year’s ceremony will pay respect to firefighters lost in 2019 and in 2020.
Heroes honored in this year’s ceremony include:
- Captain Jacob Ringering, Godfrey Fire Protection District
- Firefighter Kody Vanfossan, Christopher Fire Department
- Firefighter Mario Araujo, Chicago Fire Department
- Firefighter Dylan Cunningham, South Holland Fire Department
- Firefighter Robert Reisinger, River Grove Fire Department
- Firefighter Edward Singleton, Chicago Fire Department
- Paramedic Robert Truevillian, Chicago Fire Department
The memorial ceremony began in the State Capitol Complex area with the presentation of colors and an invocation at the Illinois Fallen Firefighter Memorial, followed by the Medal of Honor Awards Ceremony at the Bank of Springfield Center in downtown Springfield.